I hope you enjoy my blog...if you do, please "follow" me! XOXOXO...BettyShmetty

Monday, March 21, 2011

What color IS your hair anyway?

My hair has been a full spectrum of colors over the years.  It has been brown, black, red, blonde, pink (yes, I said pink...it was the 80's!) and even blue.  What I have almost never been is my "natural" color.  Earlier today, someone complimented my current color (I am enjoying a bombshell blond color at the moment, thank you very much) and when I told her I had just changed it to this color a month ago, she asked, "What color IS your hair anyway?"

Hmmm...that's a good question.

I have an early memory of staring at different hair color options at the supermarket with my mother when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old.  I remember thinking back then that my hair wasn't a very pretty color.  It was very long and the ends were ragged and faded because I was constantly out in the sun...the regular application of "Sun-In" (remember that?) probably didn't help matters.  I always thought of my natural color as being a "mousy brown" whatever that means.  My mother (who always dyed her hair Blue-Black) thought I would look best with auburn hair.  So, I had my first hair color application at the tender age of around 13.  Here's a photo...
(I'm the one with the heavy bangs in the middle.)  I really loved coloring my hair.  I loved how it changed the way my face looked.  I loved how having auburn hair made me feel more grown-up and exotic than the other girls in my parochial school.  I was hooked on the fact that I could so easily alter my appearance for just the cost of a box of hair color!

I played it pretty safe with the colors I used until I was in my early 20's in the 80's...When I think back to it, it seems crazy, but AT the time, I thought I was hot-shit and could do and get away with whatever I felt like doing.  Having always loved the auburn hair colors I had used, I decided redder was better.  I decided to make my hair a color that is usually associated with fire trucks and apples.  Now, I know you are probably saying, "How does one do that?"  Believe me, it's possible...maybe not advisable, but definitely possible. I wish I had a picture to share with you...it was really something to see, this red hair, and, of course, it being the 80's, the red hair was combined with an "awesome" asymmetrical haircut...you know, long on one side and short on the other.  It actually looked a lot like this photo I found, except it was red, sort of like the jacket in the picture.
During that same era, I dyed my hair pink and blue.  The pink was a hot pink and I had to bleach all of the color out first and then put the pink in.  Now, I want you to get a good visual here...my hair was very short in the back and long in the front.  I used to spike it up and use lots of spray to keep it stiff.  With the front being pink, I liked the idea of having the back navy blue, so I colored the back blue.  Like I said, it was the 80's and I was maybe 20 years old.  Again, I don't have a picture of me, but here's one to help you get a visual...


Fortunately, this period of particularly bad taste in hair color and style didn't last very long and I was back to something close to brown.  Here are some pictures of me with some of the different colors I've sported...


























So, what color IS my hair?  Any color I want it to be...

2 comments:

Billie said...

I love it too!!

Its girl stuff!! Hair color, makeup, push up bras!!
I love being female!

I have been trying to decide lately what color to make my hair next....hmmmm

Diana Burfield (BettyShmetty) said...

Take a chance...if you don't like it, you can always change it. That's what I do! Love you Billie! xoxo