I hope you enjoy my blog...if you do, please "follow" me! XOXOXO...BettyShmetty

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Should I do it?

Well all you other bloggy moms out there, I have been offered a full-time position at the police department where I do my auxillary time each month.  For those of you who don't know what the heck I'm talking about, that means that I put on my police uniform each month and go out in a car and do police stuff, but I don't get paid.  I do it to keep my certification current.

This picture is from a year and a half ago (before I went blond) but that's me in uniform.
I love my police time each month.  I was in police work for over 20 years and had a good career until I decided to pursue being a decorator.  (Since the economy tanked, that has basically been a hobby rather than a real job.)  Anyway, the department has offered me a full time job.  This is the third or fourth time they've done so.  This time, I think I really want it.  I am in the "trying to convince my husband" mode at this point.

Right now, he has it pretty good, (admit it Kurt, you do! Not that he reads this, but just in case)  I do most all of the house stuff, shopping, cooking, scrubbing toilets and floors, and I take the kids to their sporting events and practices, homework, projects...well, you know cause you do that stuff too.

So, the thing is that, since I'm not working traditional hours now and I also work for myself, I am completely flexible.  If the kids get sick, no problem.  If they have to travel to Orlando for baseball tournaments, no big deal.  Except, right now, we are basically making it on one paycheck.  We are doing fine, but we don't have one little bit extra.  We have retirement accounts and some savings, but we NEVER take vacations (we do staycations) and we don't buy extra stuff and when stuff happens, like the car needing repairs or the A/C taking a crap, we have to worry a little.

I keep thinking that maybe I can write a super awesome book and make tons of money, but realistically, I am thinking this job might be just the thing.  I would be working midnight shift for a while which means I'd be going in from 5:30 pm till 4:30 am or 7 pm till 6 am.  Either way, the evening hours would fall to Kurt when I work.  I'd be working 4 days on and 4 days off, so that's good.

We would be able to pay our house off sooner and put some money away and maybe breathe a little financially.  All good things, right?

I am really thinking I should do it.  What do you think?  Am I crazy?

5 comments:

my3littlebirds said...

That's a tough one! My kids are in a different stage than yours so I can't say what I would do in that situation, but I'll cross my fingers and toes for you and hope you can decide what's best!

Gemappy1 said...

My goodness Diana, I wish I had that offer, but I'm in no way near, having any of your responsibilities. You've been such a great mom!! And it always sounded like you loved diving into it all. Will that be something you'll miss too much? Or will have too little of? It looks like you'd be basically working 12 hour shifts (11 hours), I did that with KCMO PD,and hated it. One of your days off ends up being a catch up your sleep day, especially working midnights, and turning your days around. I was lots younger then, couldn't do it now. Something to think about. I knows it's really tempting and an honor, definitely won't fault you if you decide to do it. I miss it. Hope everything is going great for you guys. Miss ya!!!

Diana Burfield (BettyShmetty) said...

So I am not 100% sure it's the right thing, but Kurt has decided to let me do it. Thing is, if it's a disaster for us, I can always go back to doing the volunteer thing and write the Great American Novel instead ;)

Cindy said...

I wouldn't give up my freedom and flexibility for anything. There are plenty of ways to make some extra cash while not going back to a full-time job. You are SO creative...I'm sure you can think of some way to bring in money while retaining your freedom. Ever think of dog walking or pet sitting for your neighbors? Unless of course, you WANT to go back to police work.

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

I can't really answer this question confidently because I honestly don't know what I'd do in your shoes. I have a job now that leaves me feeling completely unfulfilled and resentful, so I would NEVER take a job like that. But if I had the opportunity to not work, I don't know that I would. This is tough. If it's been something you've been wanting for awhile, I'd say GO FOR IT! And if it makes like just a little easier, then it's a great move.