I hope you enjoy my blog...if you do, please "follow" me! XOXOXO...BettyShmetty

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gettin' Busy With Betty...Instant Window Treatments



I couldn't wait to do my first post for this feature, so I decided to do something super fast and easy...

Sometimes you have windows that need to be covered and the coverings need to be special, but you don't have a lot of time or money to get that done.  I have two great ideas for you that I have actually used on projects for clients in the past.


For a window that does not reach all the way to the floor, like a bedroom window, a really terrific substitute for boring drapes is shower curtains.  I have used beautiful shower curtains like this one from Anthropologie in the past...


This particular shower curtain would make a very full curtain on a window.  Although it is a little pricey, if you compare it to the cost of custom drapes, you will spend a lot less with this option.  You can also find beautiful shower curtains on sale as well. 

With a shower curtain like this one, if the window isn't too wide (less than 48"), you can get away with just one.  I would suggest that you  tie it back with a pretty ribbon and a really great hook like this one, which is also from Anthropologie...



You hang the curtains on a plain white tension rod like the one below which you can get at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  To hang the drape, you would simply weave the shower curtain onto the rod using the button holes which are sewn into the top (where you would normally hang the curtain from shower hooks.)  You could also use rings, but that will increase the weight and expense and is not necessary...you really won't see the rod at all once the curtain is on it if you do it right.  You shouldn't hang a curtain so that it fits the window's width exactly, you should have extra width so that it drapes nicely.


If you have a wider window and need to use two shower curtains, you can't really use a tension rod as it won't support the weight of the curtains.  In that case, you need to use a simple utility rod like the one below from a company such as Kirsch which is super easy to install and will carry the weight of the drapes without sagging.  (I prefer this method for hanging the drape since it mounts above and outside of the window opening and looks more professional when you are done)  Again, you hang the curtain on the rod by weaving the button holes onto the metal rod.



Here is an example of this treatment.  With the window below, I used a shower curtain that I had cut shorter and then I split it down the middle and put a decorative stitch along the edge to make it pretty, but you get the idea.  (This is an actual client window.)



For a window that only needs covering on the bottom, such as a kitchen window, here is a super cute idea that you can get really creative with.  First, you need to hang a rod half-way up the height of the window (think of a cafe curtain) and hang the rod like that.  I have personally used this particular rod and rings for this exact window treatment before...


This hardware is again, from Bed, Bath and Beyond and is simple to install.  After you install your rod, add the rings from which you will hang kitchen towels.  I have used vintage flour sack towels for this particular treatment and I have also purchased kitchen towels from Anthropologie.  I like to mix the styles of the towels whether vintage or new, but make sure they are all similar in size.  For example, I might use the following towels on a single window depending on the size...





Now, how many towels I use on a window depends on the size.  On a smaller window, I would probably only use two and I would make sure they were similar in style (but not matching!)  For a larger one, I might use four or six towels and I would make sure that I used two of each towel and match the positions of the towels on opposite sides.

Here is an actual example from one of my client's homes...



You don't have to spend a lot of money on either of these ideas.  You can use towels or shower curtains you already have, or you can find great looking vintage ones at garage sales and thrift or antique stores.  You can also get inspiration and great deals from my favorite store, Anthropologie (I just love going in there and lurking!)

I hope this inspires you to get creative when it comes to covering your windows...it's a lot of fun and your friends will be so impressed with the results, trust me! 



4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Simply Fabulous !! Love you Sis

Diana Burfield (BettyShmetty) said...

You are so biased! Love you too and can't wait to see you!

Billie said...

D!
I am so glad you are posting this. It is just the perfect thing!
You overflow with creativity and I just wish I could download your brain!
These are so down my alley too. LOVE mixing fabrics and designs and colors. But truly, I would have never seen the adorableness of the towels put together... the pattern you create.
Thanks for this post honey.
I just read the latest Traditional Home and there was nothing close. The magazine was full of stupid designers with a "connection" job that had too much money and didn't know what the f--- to do with it. And I know, you know, what I'mean. : D

Diana Burfield (BettyShmetty) said...

Hey Billie! I know what you are talking about...most articles in mags are just meant to make pretty photos for the rest of us to drool over. Most of the people in the world can't afford that stuff. Anyway, I like simpler things...that's why I've never made much money in the business ;)

Thanks for checking in...Love you!