I hope you enjoy my blog...if you do, please "follow" me! XOXOXO...BettyShmetty

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dear BettyShmetty Readers,

I know I have been remiss in staying in touch.  No, I did not drop off the side of a cliff.  I, like so many of you out there, have been feeling like I have been spread a little too thin lately.  It's the same old story, too many things to do and not enough hours in a day.  I have been sacrificing sleep and time with the family to get things done.  My blog has been on my mind, but it's low on the priority list lately, because it really is a luxury for me to write.


I have been trying to wrap up a couple of projects (decorating) and get things in order so that when I go back to work full time, we won't fall apart.  I'm not sure how it's all going to work out yet, but I think we'll figure it out.  I have many friends who do it and manage just fine.  I almost took the time to blog while I was doing a lamp makeover for a client the other day, but by the time the though crossed my mind, I realized I hadn't taken any photos of the project, so what fun would that be?  A project without photos?  No way!  The lamp turned out beautiful...I bought two lamps at Salvation Army for $10 each and then took them apart, re-wired, painted and put new shades on them.


I feel very blessed indeed!  I have 2 police departments that want to hire me.  With the extreme lack of law enforcement jobs out there (at least in this area) I am lucky to have an opportunity at all.  I just heard the other day that there are 90 applicants for 10 auxiliary police officer positions here in Jupiter.  All of the applicants are fresh out of the police academy.  These applicants are applying for a non-paying police position in the hopes of one day being hired full time.  Ninety!  There just aren't any jobs because departments all over this area are cutting back on positions and not filling openings when people leave or retire.

I am pretty confident I'll be starting the school police officer position near the middle of October.  What a relief it will be to start collecting a regular pay check.  With the expenses involved with sports and the bills piling up, it will be nice to actually contribute to the family income.  Having that steady income will definitely change things for us.  We won't be upgrading our standard of living, just maintaining it without the stress of worrying about the bills every month.  In fact, the plan is that every single dollar I make will go to pay off the mortgage.  We hope to have that accomplished in under 5 years. 

Some people don't think it's smart to pay off the mortgage on your primary residence, but I just don't understand that kind of logic.  Doesn't it just FEEL better not to owe the bank $220,000?  Maybe it's just me, but I am thinking debt free is the way to go.  So what if I won't have a tax deduction on my income taxes?  I'm still living better without debt.  We are not people who own new cars or wear expensive clothes.  We're pretty simple.  In fact, I'd say we are somewhat frugal (well, maybe just compared to our neighbors, but still...)  I don't mind driving my 7 year old car (or Kurt's 10 year old truck for that matter) because it's paid off.  I love not having a car payment.  I can't wait to not have a house payment.

By the way, if you are so inclined, please say some prayers for a couple of important people in my life.  My step-brother Brad has a bad infection in his foot and ankle.  The doctors are pretty sure they are going to have to amputate it and are trying to be able to save his leg.  He is only in his 30's and is a hard worker and a good guy, husband, son and brother.  Please pray for healing.  Shoot, just go ahead and pray for a miracle that his foot and ankle are completely healed!  Also, my good friend (who also happens to be my most amazing seamstress) got some bad news this morning.  Her 19 year old niece was killed in a car crash late last night.  She was a passenger in a car where the driver had been drinking and turned in front of another car.  Other people were injured in that crash as well.  Keep her family in your prayers and the other injured folks as well.  Finally, pray for my sister Anna who has some stuff going on with her health and personal life as well.  I'm hoping she makes it back home to Florida soon, cause I really miss her.

Thank you for checking in.  I hope to get better at keeping up with this blog and my new life as a full time working mom with two busy boys. 

Oh, and by the way, I am still managing to squeeze in the workouts and am still doing well with the eating plan.  I haven't weighed myself, but I feel better and my clothes are fitting better too.  Just thought you should know.

Love, BettyShmetty

5 comments:

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I'm so glad I checked in! Wow, that is a lot. You have a LOT going on, girl. And oh so many prayers for your family! I can't believe all of that is happening or happened all at the same time. Hang in there, sweet lady...

Diana Burfield (BettyShmetty) said...

Dweej, thanks for checking in. I know how busy you are too! I really admire your ability to keep up with your brood and write the amazing things you write and taking the time to leave a lovely comment. You are my role model. xoxo

Mary J said...

I can relate to what you are going through. Tough times suck but I know what a strong, intelligent and beautiful woman you are and I know you have what it takes to get to the light at the end of the tunnel. Chin up!! Keep writing...keep going forward... most of all hug those boys of yours and keep smiling!

Diana Burfield (BettyShmetty) said...

Thank you Mary...you are such an encouragement to me! I know you deal with this hectic pace every day yourself. Thank you for checking in.

ArtsyNina said...

I haven't stopped by in forever! Glad to read about your new job- sure, it'll change the routine a little but still exciting! I'll be thinking of your family and friends :( ANd PS, mortgage free is the way to be. Hey! that rhymed.