I hope you enjoy my blog...if you do, please "follow" me! XOXOXO...BettyShmetty

Sunday, October 2, 2011

In The Kitchen With BettyShmetty Sunday Brunch Edition...Light and Fluffy Belgian Waffles



This recipe is one that my sister-in-law Cindy gave me while we were in Georgia.  Because I am trying to eat healthier and add more protein to my and my boys' diets, I add protein powder and ground flax seeds to the original recipe.  Cindy uses a mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour for her version.  I would have done that too, but I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand today.  I also use water or rice milk in place of the milk the recipe calls for.  When I made the waffles today, I used water and my boys could not taste the difference...everyone wins!  Here's the recipe:

LIGHT AND FLUFFY BELGIAN WAFFLES

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 scoops protein powder
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil (or light olive oil)
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/4 cup wheat germ (or ground flax seeds)

In a large bowl, stir four, baking powder, wheat germ/ground flax seeds, pinch of salt, protein powder.  Separate eggs.  In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a fork.  Beat in the milk and oil.  Add this to the flour mixture all at once and stir until blended but still lumpy.  In another small bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer until they are stiff and then fold them gently into the batter.  Don't try to completely incorporate them, some egg whites will still be visible after you are done folding them in.

While you are mixing the batter, heat the waffle iron.  Spray with a non-stick spray.  I use a 1 cup measuring cup to add the batter to the waffle iron.  An almost full cup is about the perfect amount to make the waffles and not have it spill out the sides of the iron.  When the indicator light says ready, remove the waffle and place it on a cooling rack.  I use the same type of rack that bakers use for cooling cakes.  This way the waffles won't get soggy while you continue cooking.

Ingredients assembled prior to mixing

I use whey protein powder because it doesn't bother my stomach like soy mixes.  You can use whatever you like.

Dry ingredients added to bowl prior to mixing

Stir them together

Separate the eggs

Add the other wet ingredients to the yolks and mix together

Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir

Fold in the beaten egg whites gently

Scoop out the mix by the cupful onto a hot waffle iron


Cool the waffles on a rack so they don't get soggy

Enjoy!  I like to add sliced bananas and pecans or sometimes just some natural peanut butter.

I set a pretty table for the boys.  It was a special occasion...I hadn't cooked breakfast for them in a week because I have been so busy.





Since I set such a fancy table with vintage cloth napkins and all, Jack decided he should dab, not wipe!

I think they liked them ;)



No comments: