I hope you enjoy my blog...if you do, please "follow" me! XOXOXO...BettyShmetty

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hey! Are you still there? My blog is not dead!!


Hey there to whomever is left of the people who once used to read this little blog!  I know it's been a long time and it seemed like I disappeared into blog oblivion, but here I am.  I'm still overwhelmed with trying to keep up with life, just like every other working mom I know and I'm not doing a great job at it, either, but I'm still trying.

I've come back because I am finally feeling the need to write again.  It's funny.  Since I went back to work, I've reconnected with one or two old friends and was able to catch up and just talk. You know? When I started this blog, I was feeling a little lonely in the friend department. I decided to start writing and suddenly, I had a bunch of online girlfriends to chat with.  That was so great!  I really met some wonderful people and didn't feel lonely anymore.  Once I had the other people back in my life, I started talking to them and then didn't feel the need to come here anymore.

Since I last checked in, I was promoted to Detective.  That has been a good and satisfying change, for the most part.  Working where I do, this detective job is somewhat different than it was in my old police department.  In a school district as large as this one, and with over 20,000 employees working here, a lot of the things I work on are related to personnel cases, as in, "the teacher grabbed my son's arm and I don't think anyone should touch my precious child so I want to press charges!"  Can you imagine?  I have a hard time processing the fact that many parents out there feel like teachers don't have a right to discipline their child (making them behave and follow rules) much less touch them.  I won't go into the difference when I was in school, which was a looooonnnng time ago, but suffice it to say, I was very acquainted with the "board of education" if you know what I mean!

Also, like before, my youngest, Jack, is still involved in travel baseball and that keeps me very busy running around evenings and weekends.  Kurt has gone back to school to get his masters degree in psychology and leadership.  Between work, sports, laundry and sleep, I have little personal time.  Prior to having babies, I used to indulge in things like regular massages (from a professional masseuse!) facials, hair cuts and colors,and vacations.  Those treats are relics of the past.  Now, I consider myself blessed to have time to take a bath and shave my legs.  Pathetic.

So, why am I back?  Bottom line, I want to start taking better care of myself.  I am now in the maintenance phase of my life.  At 49, I've realized I better start improving my health or I'm going to have some serious issues.  This past year (starting at the beginning of last school year) I began to have some aches, pains and mysterious swelling of ankles and feet.  I have never had to deal with this stuff before and think it may be an age and out-of-shape related issue.  I have found my new detective job is quite sedentary.  My hips have started to hurt after sitting in my chair typing at my computer for hours every day.  After several false starts, I think I've hit my stride in the diet and exercise thing. I'm going to start blogging about my personal struggle to get back into shape and enjoy my life more.  I'll talk more about that in my next post. I really just wanted to get back in here and say hi.  I'm back.  Hopefully, I'll stick around for a while.  I'm officially reviving my "Betty Takes It Off" segment.  My initial goal is to drop 30 pounds.

Let me know if you're still out there.

2 comments:

Anna Maddox said...

I hear you loud and clear :))))

Juliann Wetz said...

I just started following you when you took a hiatus. But we all need that from time to time, and that's the beauty of blogging -- how you manage your blog is up to you!

So, glad you're back. I'll be interested to read how you drop 30 lbs. I'd like to, too. ;)